5 Seconds of Summer, app, Cereal, Daytime TV, Fanfiction, Film, Game, Guilty, Guilty Pleasure, Guilty Pleasures, How to, How to Tackle, Kanye West, Kim K, Kim Kardashian, Mean Girls, Music, One Direction, Personal, Pleasures, pop, Shia LaBeouf, Taylor Swift, The Kardashians, Trash TV, TV, Yeezus
I am a huge advocate of referring to your guilty pleasures as your ‘not-so-guilty pleasures’ – why be ashamed of something you love? As long as it is legal/morally acceptable I think that you should be loud and proud about what you enjoy.
So this week I am going to share with you some of my guilty pleasures, in the hopes that you will be more open with yours!
Disclaimer: I know this isn’t my usual style of How to Tackle but as I said, take pleasure in the things that you enjoy. The following list may make you change your mind about me – but at least you will get to know more about who I am!
- Kanye West. I honestly don’t know what it is about him. He should be everything that I hate but there is just something that draws me to him. And I actually enjoy his music – 2005’s Late Registration and 2008’s 808s & Heartbreak are probably my favourite albums by him. Yeezus is awesome too. There are no words for how gutted I am that I missed him at Koko this week.
- The Kardashians. Again, I know I shouldn’t like them and they add nothing to my life, but damn I love their TV show. And I have a slight secret addiction to the Kim K game. I just find them hilarious, can’t deny it.
- Pop Music. Actually a lot of music that I’m not the target market for – One Direction, Taylor Swift, Take That, 5 Seconds of Summer (and yes I have seen/will be seeing all of those live) to name a few. I just love it, it makes me so happy! I also have a tendency to go back and listen to music from 2005-2008, I have no shame that I was rocking out to The Pussycat Dolls at 2 a.m the other day…
- Shia LaBeouf. I’ve just got a massive crush on Shia I can’t even explain it to myself. He is a great actor though, despite his very strange public persona.
- Daytime TV. Since I have been unemployed my consumption of daytime TV has increased. Bargain Hunt, Antiques Roadtrip, Pointless, Countdown, Deal or No Deal, House Gift, 60 Minute Makeover with Peter Andre… do I need to continue? I’m such an old lady.
- Trash TV in general. I’ve already confessed my Kardashian obsession but I just love a bit of trash TV. Dance Moms is my latest obsession, but Channel 4’s documentaries are my biggest guilty pleasure – during my first year at university I somehow got everyone to watch Virgin School (the name speaks for itself) so if there is a taboo/weird show I can almost guarantee that I have seen it.
- Rewatching the same films over and over and over. This isn’t a typical guilty pleasure, but if I am completely honest, I would rather watch a film I know 100x than watch a new one. And Mean Girls is probably my #1 contender for this spot.
- Pretending I’m a TV host. This can’t just be me right? For example if I’m making a sandwich in the kitchen I will occasionally pretend that I am on TV and will make a huge show of it. I mean, I my life goal at one point was to host Ready Steady Cook so it makes sense…
- Night time cereal. Breakfast isn’t just for the morning, it also makes a perfectly acceptable dinner/late night snack. I’m judged for this more than I expected.
- Fanfiction. I could write a whole separate post about fanfiction and how much I approve of it. I have been aware of fanfiction for over a decade now and whilst it isn’t something that I read nowadays it is definitely important. GO FANFICTION WOOO.
So there you have it. 10 of my not-so-guilty pleasures. I feel you should accept your weirdness and do the things that you love. Who cares what other people think? This obviously wasn’t a post explaining ‘how to accept’ your guilty pleasure, but they are so wide and varied that doing so would be impossible. I just hope that by sharing some of mine with you, you will share some of yours with me!
What are your guilty pleasures? Do you have a secret hobby? Is there a certain TV series that you watch alone? Let me know!
(Apologies for going a bit quiet this week! I have temporarily moved in with my Grandparents temporarily to care for them so my spare time has been cut dramatically. I will be back in the swing of things soon!)